As I sit here, awaiting the storm (snowmagedin as the radio folks are calling it), thought I would share one of my favorite patterns. It’s an elegant heart embroidered sachet. This pretty, perfumed package is made entirely in the hoop, so it’s perfect every time. Makes a great little Valentine’s gift.
Finished Size: 3 1/2” x 3 1/2”
Here’s what you need for 2 sachets:
Heirloom Heart Design #HD001
Two 10” squares Dupioni silk (needs to be only large enough to hoop)
Two 4 1/2” squares of Dupioni silk
Tear away stabilizer
40wt rayon thread in desired colors
Embroidery bobbin thread
Cotton thread to match
20” length of 3/8” wide ribbon
2. Place a layer of tear away stabilizer underneath a 10” silk square. Hoop fabric and stabilizer. Put hoop into position on your embroidery sewing machine.
3. Stitch out the first 2 colors of design #HD001. This completes the heart in the center of the sachet. We designed the heart in two colors, but feel free to stitch it out in one color, as we did.
4. Thread on top and in the bobbin with the cotton thread. If you are able to, you may want to increase the top tension for a more balanced seam. Stitch out the next color. This marks out the outer edge of the sachet.
Please check your embroidery sewing machine instruction manual for more information about adjusting the top tension on your embroidery sewing machine.
5. Place the sachet back over top of the stitched sachet front with the right side down. Place a couple of pins in the center to hold in place. Stitch the last color. This stitches the back to the front at the sides and along the lower edge, leaving an opening for turning and stuffing.
6. Remove from hoop. Cut out, leaving a scant 1/4” seam. Trim corners at a diagonal to reduce bulk. Turn to the right side.
Tweezers from your serger are a great help to turn out small items.
7. Stuff with polyester fiberfill. Tuck about a tablespoon of potpourri inside and slipstitch the opening closed.
8. Stack 2 sachets together. Wrap the ribbon around and tie.