In the Hoop Along –Appliqué Part Three I explained how to use the design placement guide that’s included with the Appliqué Poppy Embroidery Designs #ha001d. Then, I suggested that some people might be wondering how to combine designs when they don’t have a design placement guide. The answer is quite simple, use embroidery placement templates, click here to download directions on how to make an embroidery placement template.
With the following technique for combining designs, you can use any number of embroidery designs to create any final pattern desired. Plus it works equally well for any hoop size. First stitch out a placement template for each of the designs that you need for your pattern. Then, arrange and pin the placement templates together, to create the final pattern. Finally stitch the designs, one by one, starting with the ones on the bottom and work your way to the top.
For this demo we’ll use Applique Poppy designs; stitch out or print out placement templates for designs ha002d_04, ha002d_05, ha002d_06, ha002d_07 and ha002d_08.
1. Arrange the placement templates to create the large appliqué poppy design, as shown below. Pin the templates together to hold.
2. Start with a piece of fabric larger than you need; you should have enough room to hoop each embroidery design. Mark the centerlines on the fabric. Position the pinned placement templates onto the fabric, centered on the intersection. It’s hard to get the design perfectly centered, but that’s why we start with the fabric larger than needed.
3. Pin the placement template for design ha001d_04 into place. Remove the remaining placement templates.
4. Hoop fabric and stabilizer; match the markings on the template with the markings on the inner hoop. Put hoop into position onto your embroidery sewing machine. Then use the needle position controls to align the needle exactly over the center point of the placement template.
If the needle will not move far enough to line up with the center of the placement template, this means the fabric is not hooped correctly. You will need to adjust your fabric in the hoop and try again.
5. After confirming the alignment is correct, remove the placement template and stitch out design ha001d_04.
6. Reposition the remaining placement templates onto the fabric. Line them up with the stitched design as before. Follow steps #3 through #5 to stitch design ha001d_05.
7. Repeat step #6 to stitch design ha001d_06.
8. Reposition the remaining two placement templates onto the fabric. Line them up with the stitched designs as before. Follow steps #3 and #4 to position design ha001d_07 into place. After confirming the alignment is correct, remove the placement template and stitch out design ha001d_04 following directions in the Hoop Along – Appliqué Poppy Part Two.
9. Repeat step #8 to stitch design ha001d_08.
And voila, you are done! At least the stitching part; you still have to trim the threads, remove the stabilizer, press and trim the fabric to size. Then, of course you still need to sew up your project. Have fun.